Sunday, March 20, 2011

What's In A Name

Each of us are given a name at birth (or shortly thereafter). Most of us have a first, middle and last name. My mother wasn't given a middle name. I have friends who have given their children two middle names in addition to their first and last. In our culture, when a couple marries the woman generally takes the last name of her husband but often a couple make take the last name of each other in the form of a hyphenated last name. Through the advent of divorce and re-marriage women often have several last names in a life time!
My first name is Deborah. I've alway been curious about the "Deborah" of the bible. She was a strong person, a leader. Deborah, in hebrew, means "bee" or "busy bee"! Do you see where I'm going with this? I have always been a very creative, headstrong person so I believe I was named appropriately.

No comments:

Post a Comment